Yard waste in paper bags and bins is collected every Friday, except during holiday weeks. Bins must be marked or labeled as YARD WASTE. Free labels are available at the Public Works Office. (Yard waste in plastic bags is no longer collected!)
Paper yard waste bags are available at your local hardware stores or at the Finance Office at the Municipal Building, 25 Crescent Road, Greenbelt Maryland during business hours (8am-4:30pm). The cost is 10 bags for $4.00.
GHI HOMES: Call 301-474-8004 by 12 noon on Thursday to schedule a Friday collection. Place yard waste in your yard on the service side by 7 a.m. Friday for collection. (Since you do not receive leaf vacuum collection, you can pick up 10 free bags each fall at the GHI Maintenance Facility.)
DETACHED HOMES: Place yard waste at the curb by 7a.m. on Friday. You do not need to call for a pickup.
- Branches and bamboo less than 2 inches in diameter must be tied with biodegradable twine in bundles less than four feet in length and two feet in diameter.
- Branches 2 to 6 inches in diameter can be chipped. Stack branches at the curb with ends facing in same direction. Call 301-474-8004 to schedule a chipper colletion.
- Weeds and other invasive vines (such as English Ivy and bamboo roots) cannot be composted and should be placed with regular trash.
- Yard debris mixed with dirt, stones or trash will not be collected.
- Yard waste bags, bins, tied bundles and branch sections must weigh less than 50 pounds.
The City maintains a mulch pile at Northway Fields. The mulch is comprised mostly of the leaves collected in the city, but also yard waste that is collected. In past years, the area has become a dumping ground for items other than leaves and yard waste. This year regulations for using the area have been clarified and penalties for violating these regulations have been increased. Residents wishing to use the area to take leaves or yard waste must get a city permit and comply with the city’s Guidelines for Recyclable Garden Materials. If a resident is interested in a permit, please contact Ms. Lesley Riddle of the Public Works Department at 301-474-8004 or firstname.lastname@example.org.