Presidents' Day of Service
Volunteers are needed for a service-learning event on Presidents’ Day February 17, 2020 to protect trees from beavers and invasive species in Buddy Attick Park from 10:00am – 1pm.
Be a part of the community effort to protect trees from beaver herbivory and invasive species at Buddy Attick Park. Volunteers will work with Public Works staff to learn how to identify native and non-native trees, as well as the invasive species, English Ivy. Wire caging will be placed around the trunks of native trees to protect them from beaver herbivory, and hand shears will be used to remove English Ivy.
Volunteers will meet at the Public Works building located at 555 Crescent Road Greenbelt, MD 20770. The building entrance is located at the bottom of the Buddy Attick Park parking lot and through the gate.
Bring a reusable water bottle
Wear weather-appropriate clothing and closed-toe shoes
Students: bring community-service forms
Questions? Contact Kevin Carpenter-Driscoll, Environmental Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GREENBELT FOREST STEWARDSHIP PROJECT
Ongoing Forest Steward Volunteers are needed for the projects listed below:
- Plant species native to Maryland
- Learn to identify and remove invasive plant species
- Protect trees from beaver overpopulation
- Manage community gardens and compost piles
- Collect and add data to the City of Greenbelt’s GIS inventory
- Beautify Greenbelt by picking up trash
- Promote zero waste at festivals and events