GHI Homes: Special trash items must be placed in your yard on the service side. Items will be collected with your regular trash. Call (301)-474-8004 by 12 p.m. the day before your collection day to request pickup.
Detached Homes: Special trash items must be placed at the curb. Items will be collected with your regular trash. You do not need to call for a pickup.
Special trash includes furniture, bedding, moving debris and other, miscellaneous items. Items that can be reused should be taken to a thrift store. Call (240)542-2153 for information on thrifts stores and other outlets.
- Small items must be bagged, boxed, or bundled.
- Items must weigh less than 50 lbs.
- Larger items must be broken down and bundled in less than 4 foot lengths.
- (Usable Furniture that is put out for collection can be kept intact)
- Latex paint can be collected as special trash. However, the paint must be completely dried. Oil based paints are hazardous and cannot be collected as special trash and must be taken to the county on Hazardous Materials days.
Donating Unwanted Usable Items:
Please consider donating usable household items such as furniture , small appliances and clothing to be reused by others. Call (301-474-8308-or check here for a list of organizations. Some organizations will pick up at your home; others will ask that you bring items in.
Items Not Collected:
The Following items cannot be collected:
- Automotive parts, such as engines, transmissions, doors, fenders, hoods, etc.,
- Hazardous waste
- Railroad Ties
- Contractors debris
- Dirt and Rocks
- Wood fencing
- Cinderblock and brick
- Concrete, plaster, or drywall
- Construction/remodeling debris
- Logs, stumps or branches larger than 12 inches in diameter or longer than 4 feet in length.
(If you have a contractor working in your home that are responsible for hauling away all debris associated with their work.)
People can call 301-474-8004 to schedule for special items to be recycled at least a day before collection day.
Items that can be "Special Recycled" include:
- Appliances and metals collected on Friday
- Hard, large plastics collected on Friday
- Yard Waste collected on Friday
- Chipper on Thursday