- Yard waste in paper bags and bins is collected every Friday, except during holiday weeks.
- Bins, barrels or cans used for yard waste must be marked or labeled as yard waste and pulled out into view.
- Free "Yard Waste" labels are available at the Public Works Office,
- Yard waste in plastic bags is no longer collected.
- Paper yard waste bags are available at your local hardware stores
Call 301-474-8004 by noon on Thursday to schedule a Friday collection. Place yard waste in your yard on the service side by 7 a.m. Friday for collection.
Place yard waste at the curb by 7 a.m. on Friday. You do not need to call for a pickup.
Rules for Pick Up
- Branches and bamboo less than 2 inches in diameter must be tied with biodegradable twine in bundles less than 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter
- Branches 2 to 6 inches in diameter can be chipped. Stack branches at the curb with ends facing in same direction. Call 301-474-8004 to schedule a chipper collection. BAMBOO CANNOT BE CHIPPED.
- Weeds and other invasive vines (such as English Ivy and bamboo roots) cannot be composted and should be placed with regular trash
- Yard debris mixed with dirt, stones, or trash will not be collected
- Yard waste bags, bins, tied bundles, and branch sections must weigh less than 50 pounds
The city maintains a mulch pile at Northway Fields. The mulch is comprised mostly of the leaves collected in the city, but also yard waste that is collected. In past years, the area has become a dumping ground for items other than leaves and yard waste. This year regulations for using the area have been clarified and penalties for violating these regulations have been increased.
Residents wishing to use the area to take leaves or yard waste must get a city permit and comply with the city’s guidelines for recyclable garden materials. If a resident is interested in a permit, please contact Luisa Robles of the Public Works Department at 301-474-8004.