Greenbelt is a great place for artists. People are drawn to Greenbelt for its new deal history, active community, and high quality of life. The City of Greenbelt is a model municipality in its support of the arts, both as a direct service provider and as a supporter of community arts initiatives.
Opportunities for artists includes:
- Artist in Residence Program (visual artists studio space)
- Festival of Lights Art and Craft Fair
- Performance Bookings
Greenbelt Community Center
Arts programming is provided at venues throughout the city, serving residents of Greenbelt and the surrounding region. Our home base is the Greenbelt Community Center, a national historic site and former elementary school located at 15 Crescent Road. The center's many resources include:
- Art gallery
- Ceramics and visual arts classrooms
- Dance studio
- Hundreds of visual and performing arts classes throughout the year
- Rehearsal space for local music, dance, and theater companies
- Spring break and summer arts day camps
- Visual artist studios
The building also houses a robust senior program, Greenbelt Nursery School, the Greenbelt News Review, Greenbelt Access Television, and the offices of the Greenbelt Museum. The center is used by over 100 local community groups, providing a wonderfully diverse and intergenerational audience for the artists in the building.
Other Greenbelt Resources
Businesses within a close walking distance include:
- Co-op Grocery Store
- New Deal Cafe
- Greenbelt Arts Center (black box)
- Greenbelt Public Library
- Historic Greenbelt Movie Theater
- Many other dynamic local businesses
The attractive town square is a great meeting place, and hosts music and other events throughout the year.