Greenbelt is a great place for artists. People are drawn to Greenbelt for its new deal history, active community, and high quality of life. The City of Greenbelt is a model municipality in its support of the arts, and an integral area of service within Greenbelt Recreation.
Opportunities for artists includes:
- Artist in Residence Program (visual artists studio space)
- Festival of Lights Art and Craft Fair
- Performance Bookings
Greenbelt Community Center
Arts programming is provided at venues throughout the city, serving residents of Greenbelt and the surrounding region. Our home base is the Greenbelt Community Center, a national historic site and former elementary school located at 15 Crescent Road. The center's many resources include:
- Art gallery
- Ceramics and visual arts classrooms
- Dance studio
- Greenbelt Access Television (GATE)
- Hundreds of visual and performing arts classes throughout the year
- Rehearsal space for local music, dance, and theater companies
- Spring break and summer arts day camps
- Visual artist studios
The building, formerly the town elementary school, also houses a robust senior program, a cooperative nursery school, the town newspaper, a cable television and digital editing studio, and the offices of the Greenbelt Museum. The center is used by over 100 local community groups, providing a wonderfully diverse and intergenerational audience for the artists in the building.
Greenbelt Aquatic & Fitness Center
Greenbelt Recreation presents displays of two-dimensional fine art at this venue. Artwork remains on display for a minimum of 3 months. The Greenbelt Aquatic and Fitness Center is the city's most highly-visible indoor display space, with annual admissions exceeding 150,000.
The space is accessible to the public Monday through Friday, from 6am-10:30pm, and Saturday through Sunday, from 8am-10pm.
Aquatic and Fitness Center
Greenbelt, MD 20770
Other Greenbelt Resources
Businesses within a close walking distance include:
- Co-op Grocery Store
- Cooperative New Deal Cafe
- Greenbelt Performing Arts Center
- Greenbelt Public Library
- Historic Greenbelt Movie Theater
- Many other dynamic local businesses
The attractive town square is a great meeting place, and hosts music and other events throughout the year.